Header

Monday, December 23, 2013

The BEST Molasses Cookies

I have been making these molasses cookies with my mom for years, and they have officially become a tradition. Just the smell brings me back to the 4th grade. It's true, Martha Stewart really knows her molasses cookies! The only changes I have made is I use a teaspoon sized ice cream scoop to ensure equal sized cookies instead of a tablespoon. And with the ice cream scoop I use, it makes 50 cookies, not 36! I believe I have perfected the baking time for my personal preference: hardened edges with a gooey middle.







Recipe courtesy of marthastewart.com (with my own little tweaks)

Italicized = my tips and comments

Ingredients

    • 2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1 1/2 cups sugar (1 cup for dough, 1/2 cup for rolling)
    • 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
    • 1 large egg
    • 1/4 cup molasses

Directions

  1. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. In a shallow bowl, place 1/2 cup sugar; set aside. (This is for rolling the cookies before baking)
  2. With an electric mixer, beat butter and remaining cup of sugar until combined. Beat in egg and then molasses (spray measuring cup before adding molasses) until combined. Reduce speed to low; gradually mix in dry ingredients, just until a dough forms. Preheat oven to 350.
  3. Pinch off and roll dough into balls, each equal to 1 tablespoon (I use a 1 teaspoon ice cream scoop). Roll balls in reserved sugar to coat.
  4. Arrange balls on baking sheets, about 3 inches apart. Bake, one sheet at a time, until edges of cookies are just firm, 10 to 15 (11) minutes (cookies can be baked two sheets at a time, but they will not crackle uniformly). Cool 1 minute on baking sheets; transfer to racks to cool completely. Makes 36 (50). Store in an airtight container for 4 days.
[What I love to leave by the fireplace]

[Perfect as a gift]
Honestly, half of the reason why I love these cookies so much is the smell it gives when they are baking. It always puts a smile on my face. Happy Holidays! 

Stephanie xx

No comments:

Post a Comment