Header

Friday, August 8, 2014

Summer Book Reviews

Sometimes all I need is some music (preferably by Dawn Golden) and a good book. The books I am talking about today are the ones I read at the end of May up until now (not including the books I read for school, although I did like those :). I definitely haven't read as many books as I'd like so far, but even just writing this post makes me more motivated! Maybe you've read some of these books and have different opinions, or maybe you'll pick up one of these next time you're at the library. I'd say some of these are "beach reads" and all are filled with romance - which is what I'm looking for during this time of year!

We'll Always Have Summer by Jenny Han 
This is the third and final book in the Summer series. It's about a girl named Belly, short for Isabella, and her love story with two brothers. She's known them both since she was very young, having spent the summers with them at Cousins beach. The brothers, Jeremiah and Conrad, are then caught up in a love triangle that is so complicated - but makes this trilogy one of my favorite summer books. I always come back to these books every summer because it's my weakness - romance (especially since it takes place on a beach). I would definitely read the first two books before this starting with The Summer I Turned Pretty! Rating: 4.5/5 

Burn for Burn + Fire with Fire by Siobhan Vivian and Jenny Han
This is also another trilogy written by the same author along with her her best friend Siobhan Vivian! It takes place on Jar Island and is about three very different girls, Mark, Kat, and Lillian as they take revenge on the people who ruined their lives. It's definitely an intense book with your typical high school drama but is much more dramatic. I read both of these books in a matter of four days because I just had to find out what happened. Rating: 4/5


Ripple by Mandy Hubbard
I picked this up at the library literally the day before the beach because I knew that I was going to read on the beach a LOT. The cover was...interesting and not my cup of tea, and I already knew it would be a very easy beach ready from just reading the back of the book. If you want a (very) quick read with romance, sci-fi, and your typical girl meets boy characters, then maybe you'll like this one?  Rating:1.5/5

Just One Day by Gayle Forman
This is a book I just recently finished, and it was different from what I thought it would be after reading the background of the novel. I first became familiar with Gayle's book If I Stay a year or two ago after I saw it at the library. Now it's been made into a movie featuring the wonderful Chloe Grace Moretz, so I decided to try some other books written by her as well. It's about high school graduate Allyson who's on an European tour and meets an actor. She spends 24 hours with him as both of them become attracted to one another. There's also a sequel from the guy's perspective, but I have yet to read that! Rating: 3/5 (so far at least)


I'm so sad summer is coming to an end - I will be squeezing in lots of reading before school! What are some of your favorite books and what would you recommend?

Peace,
Stephanie

Sources: 1 2 3 4

2 comments:

  1. Finally someone else who knows about Just One Day! I read it and really liked it but every time I mention it to people no one knows what I'm talking about - I guess with the If I Stay movie craze, Just One Day is not as popular yet. Read the sequel, it's a little boring but I like how it paired with Just One Day! She also just published a small novella to finish off the whole series, which was nice because I didn't want to be left on a cliffhanger :/
    xoxo, Jamie
    www.thefashionnewcomer.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully it will become more popular soon! Hmm I will definitely look into the sequel too :)

      Delete