Header

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Summer Jobs

I don't think I've ever had a crazier summer than this one. It's been so hectic, but the best part is that I've enjoyed every minute of it. I thought I'd highlight some of the my most memorable moments right before I head off to college (9 days!!). One of my goals for this blog is for me to be able to express myself and my love for many things in life. That being said, I think it's easier for you as the readers to get to know more about me to enjoy my blog.

The first thing that comes to mind this summer is that I spent most of my time working. I feel so lucky that I was able to have two "jobs" that I genuinely enjoyed doing. Now I put jobs in quotations because to me it never really felt like work...

My first job was coaching at my local tennis camp. I just graduated this year, and tennis was such a big part of my life. The camp was very popular this year, and there were four sessions each day with ages from 10 to 18. I worked at two of the sessions which were each 2-3 hours, and I mainly stayed with the younger kids which was so much fun. It was weird because I've been going to the same camp for the past six years, and now I was a coach! What's better than playing my favorite sport, being outside, and having co-workers be all of my friends?
My partner and I at the state tournament this year!
Another job that I had this summer was at a local Catholic church. One of my good friends asked my to do it with her last fall when I applied, and it was probably one of the best decisions I could have made. It was called an "internship", and we did a variety of things. Everyone there was either about to enter college or was already in college, and everyone was so genuine and friendly. I can't stress that enough.

I'm not Catholic, and I thought that would be a little weird, but it wasn't at all. Everyone was so welcoming and I'm grateful to have made so many new friends! Most days we would read articles at home, and then from 5-9pm we would discuss them in groups. It was perfect timing because I would coach tennis and have time to do this as well.

One of the highlights would definitely be service week for middle schoolers and high schoolers. We all stayed at a hotel and the kids were split into groups where each group would provide service for different things - cans drives, daycares, schools, thrift stores, etc. I was able to be a leader for some middle schoolers, and we scrubbed some bleachers as our service to the community at an inner city school! It was a great experience, and who knew you could have fun cleaning?!
source
Doing both of these jobs this summer has really put things into perspective. As I head off to college next week, I know one thing's for sure - no matter what,  it's important to do what you love and love what you do.

Love always,
Stephanie


2 comments:

  1. They sound like such interesting jobs! I'm currently looking for part-time work for over Summer and during University term time. I hope I have as much fun as you have had :)

    Angi~
    iidifferentworlds.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm looking for a job during school too! Good luck!! :)

      Delete