Header

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Hashbrown Waffles?

 Breakfast is easily my favorite meal of the day - I can eat it all the time, and it's always fun to find new variations of my favorite meal. When I was home over spring break, my mom randomly pulled out the waffle iron and a sack of potatoes. ...and with some some experimenting we made a yummy hash brown waffle. It's a little healthier since we are not frying potatoes, and there's some added protein from the eggs. Yum.





Ingredients:
shredded potatoes (I used frozen but fresh means less eggs)
eggs - add enough eggs until mixture is able to be held together - I used 2 used for the bowl of potatoes
chopped bell pepper onion
salt and pepper
oil (I used coconut)
maple syrup (optional)
Directions:
1. Preheat the waffle iron and mix all of the ingredients together except the oil.
2. Spray/brush on oil to get the waffles crispy and prevent them from sticking.
3. Spoon about 1 - 1 1/2 cups of batter and flatten a bit Close the waffle iron, and follow how long it takes your waffle iron. Mine beeps when done, but it took about 30 seconds after beeping until they were ready! 
4. They might be a little stuck, so I used a spatula to pry them out onto my plate. Serve with the desired toppings like cheese, or for something sweet/savory, maple syrup!

I'm sure this would work with sweet potato, or even frozen tater tots. The main reason for the eggs is they're a binding agent since we used frozen potatoes which made the mix was dry. Let me know your favorite breakfast food recipes! 

2 comments:

  1. I really need to start experimenting more with my waffle iron! I see so many cool recipes to make that use my waffle iron, like this one, and I know it would taste delicious! I would love to try this with a sweet potato!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you! yeah a sweet potato sounds so good :)

    ReplyDelete