Header

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Saint Anything



It's finally time for me to review book #2 of the summer! I finished Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen a couple of days ago, and it actually didn't take me that long considering it's just over 400 pages. Being her most recent release, I was excited because I've read many others by her in the past. Whenever I go to the library, I feel like I always see her books being checked out - she's pretty well known I'd say.


I guess I'll start with me saying I have always associated her books with romance. This one however, I would describe more as a coming of age book. The main character, Sydney, has always been overshadowed by her brother's actions of drunk driving and paralyzing a young boy. Left in the shadows, she goes to a new school and meets the Chatham family who change her life. Of course, there is some romance, but it's definitely not the center of the plot - a nice change from her other books in my opinion. With each person in the Chatham family having distinct personalities, the creepy family friend Ames, and the fifteen year old boy who was paralyzed, Sydney learns to open up to others and deal with guilt that she didn't deserve. I finished this book pretty fast, and I loved getting to know all of the characters. Even though I thought her past works like Just Listen had stronger moments, I still loved this novel and what it left me feeling like...wanting more.

If you like coming of age novels, I would definitely recommend it. I really bonded with the main character even though we are completely different people. And even if you prefer romance (which I thought I would), I still would give this a try. It might surprise you!
Rating: 4/5

2 comments:

  1. Second to children/middle-grade novels, I enjoy a good Coming of Age book, and this sounds like my cuppa tea! I like romance as a side dish, so it's great that the central focus isn't the romantic plot! Going straight to my TBR list, thanks for the review, Stephanie!

    May x | THE MAYDEN

    ReplyDelete
  2. "romance as a side dish" haha I love that! Enjoy! x

    ReplyDelete