Header

Saturday, November 7, 2015

You Decide To Make Social Media "Real"


If you haven't heard of her, a video by Essena O'Neill was posted recently about her experience with social media. A popular instagrammer and model, she talks on how her obsessiveness with social media wasn't "living". I actually cried watching the video because I really felt for her. Starting out a such a young age of 14 or 15, she would skip meals and obsessively workout, then spend hours posing for the perfect instagram picture pretending to be someone she wasn't. She discusses in the video on how negative social media can be, and to just go outside and talk to people. 

I do fully agree with her that it is sad how much time each day staring at a screen. I'm completely guilty of this. Although, I think that her situation is different from others, and that we shouldn't be immediately discouraged by social media. I've seen so much good and come from it, and that there's a line between using social media for the fun of it and to connect, than to making it a priority. 

We all care about the number of likes and followers to some degree, but to have your happiness depend on them just breaks my heart. Happiness and self worth should come from inside yourself, and knowing that Jesus and so many people care about you! I think Essena's example shows the harm social media can do. It was such a great reminder to put down my phone and talk to my friends, and it definitely made me more aware to post positive things. 

You decide to be yourself on social media, and to be real. Social media is real. The words are real, the people are real, and it's beyond me to even think of how crazy it is that we can affect and reach people through it. Even though there are people who can be superficial on social media, posing for pictures and getting absorbed into sponsored posts, the reason for why they do so is real. Maybe they're insecure and rely on it, or maybe they are struggling to make ends meet.

 I hope this put a new perspective on social media for you, and I'm so grateful that a platform like this exists for me to connect with all of you. Take a walk, look at the stars, and spend hours talking with people who make you happy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment