Header

Monday, September 19, 2016

Healthy (and cheap) College Meal Ideas! {Vegan}

It's already been a month since I've moved into my college house, and one of the struggles has been cooking and making all my own meals. Compared to my freshman and sophomore year where I had unlimited access to the dining hall, now I'm grocery shopping weekly and clipping coupons. Literally I feel so old getting excited over the Aldi sale flyers that come in the mail....Anyway all of these meal ideas are vegan, and although I wouldn't label myself as vegan just yet, I always love trying out new and healthy foods. 

What's also exciting is that it is a collab with Ellie from Peanut Butter and Ellie! We go to the same school, and were able to get dinner together - it's so awesome to meet someone through blogging #teaminternet. Ellie is vegan, and will have even more easy meal ideas from the cafeteria. She is a freshman, so you'll be getting both ideas from students who live on and off campus!  
Oatmeal has been my go to breakfasts since they are filling and easy to assemble. I always have the same base oats. I microwave it for about two minutes, and then put on the toppings (the most important part). I stir in some peanut butter when it's still hot, and then add fruit, flax meal, almond milk, cinnamon, and of course, a drizzle of maple syrup. I used to think oatmeal was boring and gross, but with fresh fruit and some natural sweetener, it'll keep you full and satisfied. 


Of course, I love making smoothies for breakfast because you just have to throw everything into a blender and that's it. I posted the recipe to my favorite green smoothie (that doesn't taste green) and I still make it every week.
Since I have class and work on campus pretty much all, I pack a lunch almost everyday. It's usually different combinations of rice and vegetables from a can, and my absolute favorite is a burrito bowl. I never seem to get tired of it, but I don't mind.
I always have potatoes on hand (usually sweet potatoes), and I either microwave them when I'm in a hurry, or roast them in the oven. My friend Molly and I made these by just slicing them thinly and sprinkling on some garlic salt and mrs. dash. The thinner you slice them the faster they cook, so just keep an eye on them. No oil is needed for crispy potatoes, and we baked them at 400 degrees F for about 15 minutes on each side.
Pizza is super easy to make, and great to customize and change up the toppings. I used the Easy Artisan pizza crust mix, and all that's needed is to add hot water. Seriously that's it. Of course, you can use a flatbread, english muffin, or pita as a quick pizza crust too. We topped it with tomato sauce, zucchini noodles, onions, and garlic.
The last meal is from when I had dinner with Ellie! My biggest tip is when eating in the cafeteria is to mix and match your favorite foods from different places. I got some french fries (it was a friday so...), hummus, tabouli, steamed broccoli, and cantaloupe. 
I hope this gave you some more meal ideas to make, and if I can make them....trust me so can you! Don't forget to check out Ellie's post at Peanut Butter and Ellie for even more ideas - and let me know what your favorite meals to make are!

No comments:

Post a Comment